Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Education vs Experimentation

When it comes to ministry I have noticed that we tend to focus on education as opposed to experimentation. Our community tends to want to know just the right decision and information before starting into something. That is good and bad. The good part is that we feel prepared but the bad part is we tend to never know enough before we start, so the result is we never start at all. Even in our highest level professions, on the job training is critical and most times required. Take doctors for example, they have to go through the riggers of Med School which include the very difficult qualification process, but after Med School they have an even longer internship, and residency. It is the latter part of the process where doctors really become doctors. In Jesus ministry Jesus did the very same thing, but He treated the internship AS the educational process.

In Jesus’ community, there was a process of elimination; there was a qualification process for people to become disciples. That process started when a kid reached six years of age and entered school. This is known as Bet-Sefer (house of books, generally known as elementary education), it would last from about age 6 to age 12ish. If a kid was good enough they would be allowed to go to the next level which is known as Bet-Talmud (secondary education), this would last until the kid was about 14. Only the best of the best would be allowed to move to the next level. Let me give you a little insight here so you might understand what is going on and what the priorities are for this 1st century Jewish community. First, to a Jew becoming a disciple was like becoming an NBA super star. It was the highest level of achievement in that community. To have your kid selected to go to the next level of education would be like your highschooler being selected to go to Harvard. It was a huge deal. To have your son selected to be a disciple was the equivalent to your kid becoming the President. This news would cause your entire street to come out and celebrate! Only the best of the best of the best would be selected to go further. Along the way the drop outs, the picked overs and the dismissed would be asked to go back to the family trade. Most would return to fishing, others maybe tax collecting, and even others it might be farming. The vast majority were not qualified to serve God in Jesus community.

When Jesus selects His disciples, He does not choose among the best of the best. He did not choose the qualified. In reality, He chooses a crazy variety of unqualified people. So what is the lesson? Jesus is more interested in your willingness to experiment than your qualifications. Jesus didn’t do any investigation on any of His disciples, no past employment check, no “have you ever been married” check, not even any education research. It is interesting that Jesus didn’t even ask the standard church questions that we have all been asked when we get involved with the church. We have almost no information about what the disciples were or were not before they met Jesus. That is an important fact when you consider that today in most church communities your will go through an exhaustive process of sifting long before you will even be considered to serve. Why did Jesus deal with His disciples this way? Because the truth is we are all disqualified to serve a holy God. So no matter what area of service you take on, you can know with complete assurance you are disqualified for it. Since all are completely disqualified to serve God, Jesus wasted no time attempting to further underscore that fact and simply begun calling the disqualified into the work He would qualify them for.

Once the disciples were chosen Jesus trained them. At Mercy’s Cross that is the same process we use. It isn’t that we don’t have standards or safety features. We do, for example if you are going to work with students or kids you will have a background check, to ensure we keep our kids safe. But we don’t focus on your past failure as an attempt to keep you from investing your life. We use the idea that you should jump in and then we’ll teach you how to swim. I know it sounds scary but I have learned through 15 years of ministry the greatest obstacle we have is getting started.

So here is the diving board:

Every third Sunday every month at 1:00 PM, starting April 19th we are going to host Volunteer Orientation for every ministry (Group Life Leader is on a different date as is Worship Ministry note them at the bottom of the list). This will be a time to discover more about a ministry and find a way in. The meeting will last about an hour. This is the starting point for your experiment to discover where you fit.

Children’s Ministry: Hosted by our Children’s Children Center Director Angie Harness in 1st thru 5th grade large group room.

Guest Services and Connection Team: Hosted by our Connection Director Stacey Harness in the worship center foyer.

Media Ministry: Hosted by our Media Pastor Troy Crow in the Sound Booth in back of worship center.

Student Ministry: Hosted by our Student Pastor Josh Valovich In the Student Building

Video Ministry: Hosted by our Video Director Carmen Mallard in the front of the worship center.

Celebrate Recovery Ministry: Hosted by our CR Pastor, Elbert Norman in the Celebrate Center.

Office Volunteer Ministry: Hosted by our administrative office manager Chrystal Butler in the office.

First Monday of every month, starting April 6th at 6:15 pm:

Group Life Leader: Hosted by our Group Life Pastor Al Graham in the Celebrate Center.

Fourth Sunday of every month, stating April 26nd at 1:00 pm:

Worship Ministry: Hosted by our Worship Pastor, Chuck Evatt on Stage in Worship Center.

iserveothers questions:

1. What has kept you out of ministry in the past?

2. What ministries are you currently involved in?

3. Which orientation are you going to attend first?

4. How much time each week are you going to dedicate to your ministry?

5. Why is it important to you to serve others?

4 comments:

  1. 1. What has kept you out of ministry in the past?

    Since getting back into church, I have felt like I didn’t know everyone well enough to become “involved”. I still felt like an outsider in a lot of ways, self-conscious, too new, the usual excuses. I finally got tired of being an “observer” and knew I had to jump in somewhere. My first step was to join Group Life.

    2. What ministries are you currently involved in?

    A couple of weeks ago I began helping with Guest Services and love it! I am so glad that I became involved in this.

    3. Which orientation are you going to attend first?

    I will probably attend the Guest Services and Connection Team since I have just started this. I don’t look to leave this area; just want to see if there is anything new I can learn. I have also inquired about an area in the office. I don’t know if I could do this one or not, depending on how much time would be required.

    4. How much time each week are you going to dedicate to your ministry?

    I will gladly give as much of my time as I can. My parents, children, and grandchildren would be the only thing that possibly would take away from this. I try to make myself available for them when needed. Besides helping take care of my three grandkids, I can pretty much organize my time the way I need to since I am self-employed.

    5. Why is it important to you to serve others?

    By serving others we are being Christ like. This is what Jesus did, and this is what God expects of us. This is just one more way of being conformed to His image. I know for myself I always feel like I am the one that receives a blessing when I serve others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. What has kept me out of ministry? Not beng certain where I fit best, and being afraid of getting overloaded. I am currently dealing with an elderly parent an elderly husband, two brothers who are not well and one who just got out of prison. It seems my life has shifted from concerns for my children to concerns for my parent, siblings and husband. So I have had very little time to spend with my grandchildren...and I worry about that.

    2. I am currently involved in Guest Services and helping in the nursery.

    3. I don't think I am going to attend an orientation this time around.

    4. Whatever time is needed.

    5. When we serve others we serve God. And serving God is of the utmost importance. It is after all our purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce Jones

    What has kept you out of ministry in the past?

    At my previous church I was involved in several aspects.I am fairly new to Mercy's Cross and still trying to figure out my place in the church.

    What ministries are you currently involved in?

    At this time I am not involved, mainly due to being new at Mercy's Cross.

    Which orientation are you going to attend first?

    My first orientattion will be with the media ministry since I have some experience with that type of work.

    How much time each week are you going to dedicate to your ministry?

    I don't know at this time. I have many volunteer activities that I am involved in. I enjoy my time at Mercy's Cross and want to be able to just sit and enjoy a service every now and then.

    Why is it important to you to serve others?

    Our purpose is to serve God thru serving others. God expects us to serve others. WE should obey God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Cullum

    What has kept you out of ministry in the past?

    I have always been involved in church. I grew up in one church and then moved out of town and became involved in another church. Since moving back to this area, I wanted and needed a change and have been waiting to see what God wants me to do. I still feel very new to MCC and am still observing everything. I feel I need to continue listening for God's direction.

    What ministries are you currently involved in?

    I am not involved in any ministries yet. I haven't felt I've been pointed in any particular direction yet.

    Which orientation are you going to attend first?

    I'm not sure. It may be the office, student or children's areas.

    How much time each week are you going to dedicate to your ministry?

    It will depend on which area I feel called to volunteer with. Each area needs different things and some areas may need more of my time than others.

    Why is it important to you to serve others?

    God gave to us. We strive to be more like him, thus serving others is something everyone should do. Giving to others helps both them and us -- they need what we have to share and we feel good sharing with others and in turn, we both are blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Followers